Canada: Is access to health care a basic right for illegal aliens?
Posted by Ann Corcoran on March 30, 2013
They call them failed asylum seekers—aliens who have arrived in Canada illegally, asked for refugee status, but come from countries that are capable of protecting them and so are being denied the right to stay in Canada. We mentioned this policy earlier this month, here. In the past they received free medical care, but no more.
America pay attention because as Obamacare kicks in and we can’t afford it, we will be headed down this same road. Socialized medicine—free to all—cannot survive.
Here is the news from The Star:
Israel Sosa’s deportation has been put on hold as the 50-year-old battles colon cancer.
The failed refugee claimant from the Dominican Republic has been allowed to stay in Canada on humanitarian grounds for now — but he has been banned from getting treatment under Ottawa’s Interim Federal Health (IFH) Program for refugees.
The Toronto man could choose to delay treatment and face death — or go into debt paying his medical costs. [He could go into debt and pay it off over time, could he not?—ed]
That’s the new reality for asylum seekers from the so-called “safe countries” — ones such as Mexico and the Czech Republic, which are deemed democratic countries capable of state protection — as well as failed refugee claimants.
They are no longer eligible for government health care as of last June, unless they put public health at risk. The old program covered them for emergency and basic health care, similar to what is included with OHIP.
Immigration Minister Jason Kenney has said these are not legitimate refugees and taxpayers should not be held accountable for their care. The cuts are expected to save Ottawa $100 million over five years.
“It is very important to distinguish between a refugee, an asylum claimant and a failed asylum claimant. Canadians have been clear that they do not want illegal immigrants and bogus refugee claimants receiving free, gold-plated health-care benefits,” Alexis Pavlich, Kenney’s press secretary, told the Star this week.
However, critics say the federal government cannot just sit back and watch these patients suffer as resource-stretched hospitals demand prepayments for medical procedures and tests.
A court will decide if the cuts are unconstitutional:
Two national organizations made up of physicians and lawyers are suing Ottawa, arguing the health cuts are unconstitutional and illegal under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. The case is expected to be heard in a year.
There is much more, more sad cases to tweak the Canadian taxpayers’ guilt, read it all.
This is what I don’t get, why can’t all the complainers start a foundation to collect private charity to fund some of these medical cases. Maybe they can’t all be saved, but some would and surely they could find enough rich people/celebrities and so forth willing to show their generosity to the poor immigrants.
Another 1000 Bhutanese headed for Canada
Just now looking over the website for Canada’s Immigration Department I see that they just this week announced that they will take another 1000 Bhutanese from camps in a safe country—Nepal—which would bring their resettled Bhutanese population up to a total of 6,500. Not to be too picky about the facts, but the Bhutanese are of Nepali descent and are in Nepal, again a safe country, but somehow they are persecuted refugees in need of resettlement to Canada (and to the US where our totals are now approaching the 70,000 mark!) and will be eligible for free, free, free health care?
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.