Breaking news: Michigan Gov. now says “no thanks” to Syrian refugees
Posted by Ann Corcoran on November 15, 2015
Drudge is reporting the news late this afternoon….
Will the dominoes begin to fall? Will other Governors demand a halt to Obama’s misguided plan to bring in 10,000 Syrians that the FBI says cannot be vetted?
And, funny coincidence I just a few minutes ago got off a radio interview in Michigan, but neither the host nor I had yet heard this incredible news. For our long time readers, this is a huge turnaround because the Republican Governor Snyder had earlier this year said he would like to resettle 50,000 Syrians in the state to “revitalize” dying Detroit, here.
Forty eight hours after Paris, here is the news —-a complete about-face by the Governor:
LANSING — Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder says he is suspending efforts to bring Syrian refugees to Michigan in light of the deadly terrorist attacks in Paris on Friday.
“Given the terrible situation in Paris, I’ve directed that we put on hold our efforts to accept new refugees until the U.S. Department of Homeland Security completes a full review of security clearances and procedures,” Snyder said in a statement released by his office on Sunday.
“Michigan is a welcoming state and we are proud of our rich history of immigration,” the statement said. “But our first priority is protecting the safety of our residents.”
Huge test of states rights!
Now, we will be watching to see if this Governor (or any other of the fifty governors) have any power to halt the resettlement (by the federal government) of refugees in their states.
14 Responses to “Breaking news: Michigan Gov. now says “no thanks” to Syrian refugees”
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.