Trump Administration proceeding with Obama’s Australian “dumb deal”
Posted by Ann Corcoran on March 21, 2017
In a story about whether Australia’s illegal alien/asylum seekers housed on Nauru and Manus islands had another choice to go to another country besides the US (no, there isn’t another choice except for the previously offered Cambodia), we learn that Trump has sent a team to those islands to begin the screening process.
Here is the news from News Corp Australia:
(Don’t forget, most of the aliens held in offshore detention centers are from Muslim countries.)
THE immigration department chief has confirmed Australia is not negotiating with any other countries to find refugee resettlement places for people on Nauru and Manus Island who miss out on going to the US.
Asked what happens to the refugees who miss out on America, department secretary Michael Pezzullo said there was scope for them to stay in Papua New Guinea, on Nauru or go to Cambodia.
Out of five refugees who went to Cambodia, only one is left — the rest went back to their countries of origin, despite the $55 million budgeted for the deal.
Mr Pezzullo rubbished suggestions the US may take no refugees under the resettlement deal with Australia.
“I don’t agree it could be zero,” Mr Pezzullo told a Senate inquiry hearing in Canberra late on Monday night. He said the agreement was for in the ballpark of 1250.
The deal was struck with the Obama administration and will reluctantly be honoured by new US President Donald Trump, who branded it a “dumb deal”.
The hearing was told there are teams of US Homeland Security officials on Nauru doing fingerprinting and security interviews who will then go on to Manus Island in April and May. Medical screening would follow.
Department official Rachel Noble said America had not set any parameters around the country-of-origin of refugees that it will accept, despite a 90-day travel ban to the US by citizens of six Muslim countries — Yemen, Iran, Libya, Syria, Somalia and Sudan.
If we start to admit the ‘refugees’ Australia does not want to take to its homeland, we need to demand to know which lucky US towns and cities will get them!
Our entire ‘Australia deal’ archive is here.
10 Responses to “Trump Administration proceeding with Obama’s Australian “dumb deal””
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.