Does anyone other than me find it ironic that Australia has gone ballistic (as they should) over one of their upstanding citizens being shot to death in Minneapolis by a Somali police officer (former refugee), yet the Australian government wants to send us even more Somali ‘refugees’ that they have themselves rejected?
As I have been trying to hammer-home to readers, don’t get bogged down in the legal minutia regarding the 120-day moratorium and the back and forth between the rogue Hawaiian judge (on behalf of refugee contractors and their ilk) and the Supreme Court (that has gone way beyond its constitutional authority on refugees).
What is important is what President Donald Trump DETERMINES in September is the right number and the right ethnic groups to ‘welcome’ to the US in fiscal year 2018 (begins October 1, 2017).
By law, in September, the President sends his ‘determination’ for FY18 to The Hill for CONSULTATION.
If this year is like the previous 35 years, Congress will rubber stamp what the President sends (except LOL! they won’t rubber stamp zero!).
See below that the Australian government is now counting on a return to normal for the UN/US Refugee Admissions Program(USRAP) for October. They fully expect Trump to continue with the “dumb deal” Obama made in the waning weeks of his presidency and put these Australian rejects in his determination letter and report to Congress.
We expect the President to stick with his campaign promises and get this monster under control. This Executive Order mess isn’t what we had in mind when we voted for Donald Trump, and he can’t possibly think this short (chaotic) hiatus will solve any longstanding problems with the USRAP.
From AP at ABC News:
Australia disappointed by delay in US refugee resettlement
I have to laugh! In the first paragraph we are reminded by AP that these are Australia’s rejects!
AP at ABC News (emphasis is mine):
Australia was disappointed that hundreds of its rejected refugees would not begin resettling in the United States this month under a deal that predates President Donald Trump’s administration, an official said on Friday.
President Barack Obama’s administration agreed to accept up to 1,250 refugees among hundreds of asylum seekers — mostly from Iran, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka*** — who have been languishing for up to four years in immigration camps on the impoverished Pacific island nations of Papua New Guinea and Nauru.
Immigration and Border Protection Minister Peter Dutton said Australia wanted the refugees to start moving in July, but the United States had already filled its 50,000 refugee quota for the current fiscal year.
“We’re disappointed that they haven’t been able to move this month, which was my hope, but their new program year starts on Oct. 1, and we’re working with both the State Department and the Department of Homeland Security to ensure that we can get people off as quickly as possible,” Dutton told reporters.
Dutton said he was determined to close the men-only camp on Manus Island in Papua New Guinea by the end of October. [Men-only camp for up four years! And they will be free to roam in Your Town, USA!—ed]
Asylum seekers on Manus who were rejected by the United States would be transferred to Nauru, who will remain open indefinitely.
Rarely mentioned is the fact that 1,900 illegal aliens have been awarded a settlement which amounts to about $35,000 per head.
Australia last month reached a settlement of 90 million Australian dollars ($68 million) with more than 1,900 asylum seekers who sued over their treatment on Manus.
See my growing archive on the ‘Australia deal’ by clicking here. If you haven’t done it, or even if you have, write to the White House and tell the President what he should do with the US Refugee Admissions Program in FY18.
***See here where we were told that most of the wannabe US citizens housed in detention on Manus and Nauru are from Somali, Afghanistan and Sudan.