Refugee Resettlement Watch

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 5,918 other followers

  • Reaching me by mail

    You can reach me by e-mail here:

    refugeewatcher@gmail.com

    (But my inbox is so overloaded most of the time, it is hard to keep up.)

    Or, since some of you have asked, I have a post office box and you can reach me there by snail mail!

    Ann Corcoran
    P.O. Box 55
    Fairplay, MD 21733

  • Social

  • Refugee Info Resource

  • Categories

  • Archives

  • Blog Stats

    • 8,118,414 hits

Another 50 of Australia’s rejected asylum seekers are on the way to Any Town, USA

Posted by Ann Corcoran on April 19, 2018

The newest batch of 50 will join the 233 already here.  An Australian official who was originally involved with making the “dumb” deal with Barack Obama predicts the US will take all 1,250 and maybe more!

For new readers who have never heard of this incredibly stupid arrangement, see my entire archive of previous posts by clicking here.

 

australian detainees

The Trump Administration has selected 50 more for you to welcome to your towns and cities. Where are they being located? It is a secret!

 

From The Australian:

Former Australian Border Force commissioner Roman Quaedvlieg says he is confident the Trump administration will accept its upper limit of 1250 refugees under a deal with the federal government, and said the US might take even more people.

The government yesterday seized on reports a further 50 refugees in Manus Island and Nauru had been cleared for resettlement in the US to argue the government’s border protection policies were working.

Mr Quaedvlieg was removed from his job in March after an official investigation but previously worked on the deal originally sealed with the Obama administration.

It was the subject of a tense phone call between Malcolm Turnbull and US President Donald Trump.

Trump and Turnbull

“The US deal to settle refugees from Manus and Nauru was struck throughout the course of 2016 and was achieved through both formal and informal diplomatic channels,” Mr Quaedvlieg told The Australian.

“Many of us called in friendships and favours in relationships that we cultivated through the Five Eyes alliance.

(Click here to learn about Five Eyes which I had never heard of!)

“We were fortunate that President Trump honoured the deal that was struck with the Obama administration.”

Under the deal, the US agreed to accept as many as 1250 people as long as they passed “extreme vetting” procedures.

Mr Quaedvlieg, a former senior police officer, said he would not rule out the US accepting more than 1250 refugees.

[….]

Sky News reported 50 refugees had been cleared for resettlement in the US and would move to their new home within a fortnight. This would be in addition to the 233 people who had already moved to the US under the deal.

How ironic is this!  The new New Zealand Prime Minister made a big show a few months back of offering to take some of the mostly Muslim men that Australia won’t take to its mainland, but not so fast!

Government papers obtained by the news outlet this month show Australia asked the New Zealand government to keep its offer on the table as a contingency plan in case the US deal fell through.

Interestingly, the government documents suggested there were concerns about detainees passing New Zealand’s own strict screening and security laws.

There is no sense directing you to the whole article (it is behind a pay wall), but take my word for it.

Donald Trump should have stuck with his original instincts and nixed the dumb deal in the first months of his presidency.  It is not only dumb, but could set a dangerous precedent.  This process is way outside of the norm for international refugee movement.

And, if just one of these men (who have been incarcerated for at least 4 years) goes wrong, commits violence of some sort, it will be on the President!

Contact the White House! and tell the President what you think about this “dumb” deal!

5 Responses to “Another 50 of Australia’s rejected asylum seekers are on the way to Any Town, USA”

  1. Manka Hajji said

    I like to see us to resettle south African whites and refugees in SA . I’m sure soon will happen that

    Like

  2. michellefromsandiego said

    https://www.sbs.com.au/news/attorney-general-s-visa-push-the-more-south-africans-the-better Cabinet minister Christian Porter has declared “the more South Africans, the better” for his Western Australian electorate as Liberals call for white farmers to be given visas. Updated 1 day ago

    Like

  3. adam freeman said

    Australia or at least one part of it wants WHITE South Africans to join their fellow WHITE SA refugees to come to Australia to live. According to an Australian official “they are honest and hard working people and are a benefit to Australia”.

    Like

  4. tmasierrahills said

    Apparently, as with ‘Build That Wall!’ and ‘Drain That Swamp!,’ all of which were to happen “very quickly,” ‘America First!,’ as when your grandparents spend their nest egg on aluminum siding, included a lot of indecipherable fine print. ‘Just our luck.’ –The Historic American Nation

    Like

  5. petzlx said

    This is Australia’s Prime minister. He gets more unpopular in every poll since he paid $1.7 million to kick the last one out. 30th poll now each one worse than the last!

    Like

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

 
%d bloggers like this: