It was less than two weeks ago that we told youabout the stand-off between Interior Minister Salvini and the forces arrayed against him demanding he allow the latest migrant transport ship to unload its cargo.
He relented once a commitment was made for most of the 144 to be placed in the care of other countries.
Additionally dozens were to be taken in by the Catholic Church (we cheered that agreement where the migrants would not be a cost to the taxpayers of Italy).
It is those the church took in who have disappeared in to Europe!
Around 50 of the 144 migrants recently allowed into Italy after being stranded for days on a coastguard vessel have disappeared from reception centres, the country’s hardline Interior Minister Matteo Salvini said on Wednesday.
These migrants “were so in need of protection, a roof and a blanket that they decided to leave and disappear,” Salvini said on Facebook.
“This is the umpteenth confirmation that those who arrive in Italy are not skeletons fleeing war and famine,” he claimed.
The migrants were picked up by the Diciotti coastguard ship on the night of August 15th and were left stranded at sea for ten days as Salvini refused to allow the vessel to dock in an Italian port. The interior minister, who heads the anti-immigration League party, finally relented after Ireland, Albania and the Italian Catholic church agreed to lake most of them in.
The head of Catholic charity Caritas, which was hosting the migrants at its Rocca di Papa reception centre south of Rome, said it was a “voluntary departure”.
The group was not in detention, Father Francesco Soddu told Ansa news agency, and suggested that they may be trying to reach other countries in Europe.
Italy disembarks stranded migrants, Salvini under investigation
CATANIA, Italy (Reuters) – Italy on Sunday disembarked all 150 migrants from a rescue ship that had been docked for five days in a Sicilian port, ending the migrants’ ordeal and a bitter stand-off between Rome’s anti-establishment government and its European Union partners.
The migrants, mainly from Eritrea, had been stranded in the port of Catania since Monday because the government refused to let them off the boat until other EU states agreed to take some of them in.
This is big! We should be telling the Catholic Church in America that they need to spend their own money for the refugees they want to place in your towns and cities.
Interior Minister Matteo Salvini said Albania had offered to accept 20 of the migrants and Ireland 20-25, while the rest would be housed by Italy’s Catholic Church “at zero cost” to the Italian taxpayer.
“The church has opened its heart and opened its wallet,” Salvini, from the right-wing League party, told supporters at a rally in Pinzolo in northern Italy on Saturday evening. [LOL! will they be housed at the Vatican?—ed]
Salvini, who has led a popular crackdown against immigration since the government took office in June, also announced that he had been placed under investigation by a Sicilian prosecutor for abuse of office, kidnapping and illegal arrest.
“Being investigated for defending the rights of Italians is a disgrace,” he said.
More than 650,000 people have reached Italian shores since 2014, and even though the numbers have fallen steeply in the last year, Rome says it will not let any more rescue ships dock unless the migrants are shared out around the EU.
“The next ship can turn around and go back where it came from because our limit has been reached,” Salvini said.
He is the Archbishop of Aleppo, Syria and in this interview with Catholic News Service he is highly critical of Canada’s mass importation of Syrians. (By the way, we have never seen a breakdown of the percentage of Muslim v. Christian Syrians Canada is admitting.)
I’m guessing he would be even more appalled if he knew how the US Conference of Catholic Bishops takes millions of tax dollars every year and is now busy scattering Syrians to the four winds and into every corner of America.
Here is what he says about the cradle of Christianity potentially being devoid of Christians.
I wonder does this give any good Catholics pause about what is being done in their name when thousands upon thousands of Syrians are scattered for permanent resettlement?
MONTREAL (CNS) — Seated in a quiet room, the MelkiteCatholic archbishop of Aleppo, Syria, spoke slowly, in an almost muffled voice.
He goes on to describe a horrible bombing of the city. Then this….
The city is 8,000 years old. It gave civilization to the world,” said Archbishop Jeanbart, giving details about what Aleppo brought to history, culture, science and economics. Located in northern Syria, until recently Aleppo was a driving force for the country’s economy, providing work to 1.2 million workers and hosting 150,000 university students.
“More than half of the city’s population left over the last four or five years,” added the archbishop who has served there since 1995.
Ever since the war started, Archbishop Jeanbart has said that his wish is to see the population — and especially the Christians — stay in Syria. When asked what he thinks about Canada welcoming 25,000 Syrian refugees in the past few months, he was not impressed.
“We’re not happy when we see the Canadian government moving refugees and facilitating their integration. It hurts us. A lot,” he said.
….he would rather see the Canadian government making more efforts to allow the Syrian population to stay in Syria.
We will reconstruct our country. We want to build and stay,” he said, pounding the arm of his chair. “We want it to be our country and stay in this country where Christianity was born, and give a testimony of Christ’s love and charity, and of the possibility to live together, as men believing in God and respectful of one another.”
Well, this is refreshing (sort of!). A Catholic leader is actually saying that his country cannot handle the massive number of mostly Muslim migrants entering it. (No, he didn’t use the ‘M’ word! He didn’t go that far!).
I’m wondering if the Pope is going to slap his wrist for this heresy!
A high-ranking Catholic official has called for a reduction in the number of refugees coming to Germany.
Cardinal Reinhard Marx, the chairman of the German Bishops’ Conference, cautioned Saturday that the country cannot “take in all the world’s needy.” Over one million refugees seeking asylum entered Germany in 2015 — the country currently struggles to manage the influx both logistically and politically.
“As a church we say that we need a reduction in the number of refugees,” said Marx to Passauer Neue Presse. He noted that the response to the refugee issue should not be one only of “charity but also reason.”
Continue reading because I think you will see more about what is driving this remarkable statement. He warns against xenophobia and the rise of the right-wing. (Is that the real boogeyman for Father Marx?)
More on the way!
There will be more coming to Europe (and Germany)! The Times of Israelis reporting that Turkey is about to admit tens of thousands of additional Syrians at its border with Syria. And, mark my words, Turkey will let them flow directly across the country and allow them to launch their boats to Europe as spring arrives. Turkey would like nothing better than to see a Muslim Europe!
See our entire ‘Invasion of Europe’ archive here, and go here for much much more on dear old Deutschland.
Update July 7: Ireland now says it might admit 600 Mediterranean illegal migrants, here.
Yesterday, we learned that Poland is hanging tough and not bending to EU and United Nations pressure to take in the mostly Muslim invaders coming across the Mediterranean from North Africa. But, it looks like Ireland is caving in…
The Catholic Church has called on the Government to “open our doors” to more migrants from the Mediterranean.
The comments from Bishop John Kirby come as Defence Minister Simon Coveney said that other EU countries should take responsibility for their fair share of the response to the refugee crisis.
Mr Coveney’s said that Ireland will consider accepting the settlement of more than the 300 refugees already agreed if formally requested to do so by the EU.
He will travel to Malta on Monday to discuss the refugee crisis with officials in Valletta before meeting the 69-strong crew of the Naval Service vessel, LÉ Eithne, which has saved 3,000 refugees off the north African coast since May.
As Canadian readers know, your government recently came under fire by the UN and the elements of the worldwide ‘humanitarian industrial complex’ for saying Canada would prioritize Syrian resettlement by selecting Christians and other persecuted minorities as a first priority.
Consumed by political correctness?
In all the years we have followed the refugee program in the US, we have never seen any of the so-called ‘religious’ charities which are also resettlement contractors*** ever say they were concerned first for the Christians of the Middle East.
Now comes a very definitive statement by the Executive Director of the Archdiocese of Toronto confirming that the Roman Catholic Church indeed does not place Christians first in their concerns. They call it refugee “discrimination!”
Religion should never be used to prioritize Syrian refugees for resettlement, said Catholic agencies amid reports that the Canadian government intends to give preferential treatment to religious minorities.
The CBC and Post Media both reported that the government intends to accept into Canada only Syrian refugees who face religious persecution.
Quoting sources inside a United Nations High Commission for Refugees pledging conference in Geneva, the media outlets claimed Canada clashed with the UNHCR over the government’s intended policy.
Neither the Canadian churches that privately sponsor refugees nor Syrian Christians themselves have asked the government to give special treatment to religious minorities.
In question period Dec. 12, Costas Menegakis, parliamentary secretary to Immigration Minister Chris Alexander, refused to say if the government intended to limit the resettlement program based on religion.
“We will prioritize persecuted ethnic and religious minorities, those at demonstrated risk, and we will make no apologies for that,” said Menegakis.
Speaking to The Catholic Register from a massive refugee camp in Jordan, the executive director of the Archdiocese of Toronto’s Office for Refugees said he would never ask the government to restrict refugee sponsorship to Christians or other religious minorities.[The UN camp from which Mark speaks is almost exclusively housing Sunni Muslims. Why isn’t he in Turkey talking to the Christians?—ed]
“It would be a big mistake to say we have to check the religion on the refugee. No. We have to check the reason why somebody has become a refugee,” said Martin Mark.
Need, vulnerability and the immediate risk to individuals and families are the only proper criteria to determine which refugees should be resettled, said Father Nawras Sammour, Jesuit Refugee Service country director for Syria.
By the way, as we debate this Muslim vs. Christian resettlement issue, don’t lose sight of the fact that resettling any refugee is enormously expensive to the taxpayers of the receiving country and that there are many considerations, other than religion, that should limit the numbers to be taken anywhere in the first world.
I would like to know more about the refugee responsibility split in Canada where supposedly 60% of refugees are supported privately and 40% by the government. Of course in the US it is 100% government supported as the feds funnel taxpayer money through so-called ‘religious’ charities. If we in the US went back to complete private support of refugees entering the US we would learn very quickly who is, and who isn’t, interested in true Christian charity. You know that old maxim! Put your own personal money where your mouth is!
There is nothing that lights my fuse more than the wealthy Catholic Church virtually stealing money from struggling taxpayers so that they can play humanitarian big shots! The USCCB (below) migration program is 98% funded by the US taxpayer.